Fire hazards are not always easy to identify. Thousands of fires happen each year because people don’t know what a fire hazard looks like. You have a responsibility to make sure that fire hazards don’t develop into fires. Some of these could be caused by abandoned materials in the home that eventually ignite.
At United Water Restoration Group of Daytona Beach, we specialize in fire damage restoration, but there are also some things you can do to avoid this type of problem.
Electrical fires are a common hazard that is overlooked. Many electrical fires start when the wires are damaged, exposing the live wire. Make sure that you check your outlets for wear so that they don’t look too old or worn out. Use an extension cord where needed. Surge protectors are a great help with electronics but having a significant power draw can cause a fire.
Keep electronics away from fabrics or anything else flammable because they will overheat and cause a fire. Televisions also overheat! So storing them near flammable objects can result in another potential fire.
Kitchen fires are a big problem. You should not place the trash container near the stove, and you need to keep anything that is flammable away from the stove when you cook. Microwaves can also start a fire so make sure nothing around them is flammable.
If there is a grease fire, do not put water on it! Cover it with a lid to suffocate the flames. You might want to buy a fire extinguisher for your kitchen too!
Everyone loves to stay warm in the winter. Space heaters are common during cooler times. You should not place these near anything that can burn like bedding or clothes. Heaters can cause fires, they have caused 1 out of every 6 home fires during the winter. These fires can lead to death, and 1 out of 5 home fire deaths happen during colder months because of heating equipment.
Clear out your chimney before lighting it. Use a screen or something else to keep pets and small children from falling in. Clean your fireplace on an annual basis and get rid of anything that might build up over time.
Candles can be very romantic but if not used properly, they can cause a major fire! Make sure candles are never left unattended and are always away from drapes, curtains, furniture, or anything else that might catch on fire easily.
A build-up of lint from your dryer can cause a fire. You should clean out the lint screen and outside exhaust of your dryer regularly. Make sure that you also check your outlets to make sure there is no overloading going on near all appliances.
You need to make sure that you have good ventilation in your storage area. If there are too many containers or boxes, a fire will start. Make sure that these are not near heat sources like furnaces and space heaters.
Gasoline from grills and space heaters can cause fires if they get too hot or tip over. Store them away from the house so no one is in danger if this happens while they are being used.
Smoke alarms are important because they help you know when there is a fire in your home. They make loud noises that can wake you up in the night so you have time to get out of the house. Test them often and change their batteries.
You can lose your property if you don’t take care of a fire hazard. If you see something that is out of place, take care of it right away! Not only will you save yourself, but also other people around you. Sometimes a fire can start and be dangerous in minutes. So make sure to always check for any fire hazards in and outside your home. If a fire does emerge, contact our fire restoration experts at (386) 677-1856 once the property is safe to return to.
Get Immediate Help (386) 677-1856